John is Of Counsel to our firm and has been a practicing attorney for forty-two years, with emphasis upon legal issues and challenges facing construction companies. Extensive practice in construction contract negotiation and litigation. Substantial drafting of construction contracts of all kinds, including owner/general contractor and general contractor/subcontractor agreements, often incorporating the use of American Institute for Architects and other nationally recognized formats. Substantial experience in litigation involving construction disputes including public claims arising under M.G.L. c. 149 and private claims/mechanic’s lien claims arising under Chapter 254. Extensive arbitration, mediation and trial practice of all kinds involving construction disputes arising from AIA and other construction documents. Experience in negotiation, drafting and litigating multi-million-dollar contracts and advising clients with regard to bid preparation and bid protest matters. Longtime member of Forum on Construction Law, American Bar Association.
- ▪ Dartmouth College, B.A. (1976)
- ▪ Boston College Law School, J.D. (1980)
- ▪ Massachusetts
- ▪ Federal District Court, District of Massachusetts
- ▪ First Circuit Court of Appeals
- ▪ Massachusetts Bar Association
- ▪ American Bar Association
- ▪ American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law
Recent Representative Matters
- ▪ Represented large multi-state general contractor in numerous construction disputes arising from 13-million-dollar construction project on college campus, including negotiation and resolution of numerous subcontractor lawsuits
- ▪ Represented prevailing general contractor in multi-day arbitration construction dispute on North Shore project
- ▪ Represented prevailing party in multi-day arbitration representing homeowner in construction dispute on Cape Cod
- ▪ Represented owner of construction company in successful defense of personal liability claims by owner, resulting in successful motion for judgment on the pleadings
- ▪ Represented successful general contractor in Supreme Judicial Court case arising from Massachusetts mechanics lien law, Trace Construction v. Dana Barros Sports Complex, LLC, 459 Mass. 346 (2011).